Putting up a cat shelf can be a great way to keep your furry friend physically and mentally stimulated. Naturally, cats love to climb and explore their environment. With a cat shelve in place, they’ll be able to exercise and have a safe space to look down from.
Cat shelves can come in different sizes, styles, and materials. In this guide we have included numerous types of shelf including simple shelves, wall mounted play towers and build your own sets including steps, bridges and hammocks. The good thing about cat shelves is that you can install them quickly, and they usually come with the necessary hardware and instructions so you can hang it securely in your house right away.
Our Top Cat Shelf Picks
We have picked out our favourite cat shelves from the reviews further down this guide.Invalid table id.
What To Consider When Buying Cat Shelves
You might not think that buying a shelf requires that much planning, but here are a few things you should think about before purchasing a shelf for your kitty:
- How much does your cat weigh?
- What materials and textures does your cat prefer?
- How easy is the shelf to install?
- Is the wall you plan to use a solid wall or a stud wall?
- How high can your cat jump or climb? Will you need steps?
- What materials will match best with your wall colour and décor?
- Can the shelf be easily washed or cleaned?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you’re ready to pick out your cat shelves.
Best Cat Shelf Reviews
We have reviewed our favourite cat shelves that are available in the UK.
1. Pawhut Wood Cat Shelves Wall-Mounted
The Pawhut Shelf is a curved cat shelf, made from high quality MDF with a sleek finish. It’s about 21cm High x 41cm Long x 28cm Deep, and it is suitable for cats weighing up to 4.5KG.
The shelf attaches to the wall using the attachment board beneath the shelf to keep it safe and secure. The shelf includes all required fixtures and fittings and we found it very easy to put up. If you are looking to create a playground, you can get several shelves and hang them at different heights for your cat to climb and play around (this is my plan!).
We love this shelf, and we have one in our bedroom where our cat sleeps at night (better than annoying me in bed!). The cushion is covered in a durable and soft Berber fleece which our cats love and we think its great value for money.
- Its very easy to put up with clear instructions
- It has a maximum weight limit of 4.5KG
- It has a soft Berber fleece cushion on top
2. Pedy Wall Mounted Cat Scratching Post & Bed
This isn’t your traditional cat shelf, but we love the Pedy wall mounted cat scratching post. It comes with multiple shelves for your cat to perch on and a soft hammock at the top for perfect snooze spot!
The set itself is easy to assemble (it comes in separate parts), and is attached to the wall via two panels at the top and bottom of the scratching post. We love this product as an excellent space saver, and it is brilliant value for money.
- It has three different platform levels
- It has a soft hammock for your cat to rest in
- The scratching post is durable
- It measures 40cm x 36cm x 104cm
3. IK Style Wall Mounted Cat Shelf With 3 Steps
Another IK Style product, but this time its a DIY set that comes with a cat shelf and 3 steps. The shelf comes with an extra soft cushion to keep your cat cosy wherever you place it. The cushion itself is attached to the shelf, so you won’t have to worry about it (or your cat) slipping off.
The cat shelves are made from solid pine wood and can withhold weights up to 30kg! The main shelf measures 54cm by 43cm and the small steps measure 20cmx23cm. To put up the shelves you should make sure to use raw plugs (red are fine) and we found using 60mm x 5mm screws was fine.
- It can be used in a multiple-cat home
- It is versatile so that you can build your own DIY setup
- The set doesn’t come with screws so you will need to buy your own
- And it has a maximum weight limit of 30kg
- It can be used with other IK Style products to create an awesome play wall, speaking of which…
4. Wall Mounted Soft Cat Bed
This extra sturdy cat shelf is great value for money and comes with a soft bed that fixes to the shelf. The shelf itself is made from untreated plywood, and is quite heavy, so make sure to use a longer screw to ensure it secures safely into the wall.
The product is very well made and secure so you will have no issues worrying about it breaking. The beds themselves are removable and machine washable, and you can combine multiple beds on a wall to accommodate multiple cats.
- Can be easily attached to the wall
- The soft cat bed cover is removable and machine washable
- Raised edge helps to keep your cat safe when up high
- Doesn’t come with screws or raw plugs
- Measures 45cm W x 42cm D x 21 cm H
5. IK Style Large Wall Mounted Cat Bridge Walkway
The IK Style cat bridge is designed to be used with the product ranked number 3 in this list (IK Style cat shelf with steps) and adds the fun to a DIY cat shelf kit. Using the bridge you can create some cool climbing channels for your cat to get up high. Similar to the previous kit, the bridge doesn’t come with screws so you will need to buy your own.
- When installed the bridge is around 100cm long
- Has a maximum weight limit of 20kg
- Can be combined with other kits to make an awesome climbing wall
6. IK Style Wall Mounted Cat Play Platform
We love this cat play platform by IK Style because it takes cat shelves to the next level. Coming with 3 different levels, this play platform is excellent for giving your cat multiple places to perch, and a safe way of getting up high.
The platform is made of solid pine wood, and has multiple attachments to the wall making it sturdy and safe for multiple cats (up to a total weight of 20kgs).
- It comes in two colours (black and white)
- It has a maximum weight limit of 20kg making it excellent for multiple cats
- It can easily be maintained
- You will require your own screws to install it
- When assembled the platform measures 130cm x 100 cm
Benefits Of Having Cat Shelves
Having cat shelves in your home can solve a variety of problems just like these:
- Cat shelves provide a safe place for cats to go when they’re scared without hiding under beds or couches.
- Cat shelves can help your overweight cat stay active as they jump from one shelf to another.
- Well-designed cat shelving can be a functional accent piece for your home décor.
- Cat shelving can provide a playground for your kitten that won’t take up floor space in your home.
- Cat shelves can keep indoor cats entertained and active without having to take them outside to play.
- Cat shelves often come with cat beds or hammocks built into them.
Buying Guide For Buying Cat Shelves
Buying the right kind of cat shelf for your cat can really make them feel at home. There are many ways you can provide your cat with their own vertical territory in your house. There are so many options out there, including cat trees, shelves, and perches, just to mention a few.
Not everybody has the luxury of space for a cat tree, but even small apartments can always accommodate cat shelves. The following are some things you should consider when searching for the best cat shelf for your cat:
Is your cat your favourite chubby buddy? The weight of your cat is important to think about when it comes to buying cat shelves for them. Make sure the cat shelf can withstand your cat’s density. If not, the cat shelf might fall down when your cat’s in the middle of using it. Most cat shelves have their weight limit specification, so make sure the maximum weight limit specification is higher than your cat’s current weight.
You have to check the type of material the cat shelve is made of, along with the quality of the material. First of all, this will tell whether the shelf will be durable or not. But even more, it should also be attractive to your cat, and made out of material your cat can enjoy walking and sleeping on. Cat shelves are very versatile, and it is relatively easy to attach your own blankets or cat beds to a shelf to help attract your cat to it.
Cat shelves come in different sizes — lengths and shapes especially. You’ll want to think about your wall space. Do you have enough space to comfortably fit the shelf? Can you fit more than one? You might also want to think about décor you might need to take down so it won’t be in your cat’s way as they’re jumping or playing up there.
Cat shelves are usually meant to be maintained regularly because your cat is still an animal. They could drool or vomit there, or even have an accident. You have to buy a cat shelf that can be easily cleaned and kept in good shape.
Most of the cat shelves have anti-slip fabric fixed to the shelf, which makes it practically impossible to clean. The best designs are those with a removable or replaceable carpet or cushion. This makes cleaning easy and fast.
Cats normally enjoy being up high because that’s where they feel safe. But it won’t be good for your cat to be up there with a shelf that wobbles or creeks every time it jumps. Your cat won’t feel safe anymore, and they probably won’t want to use it again.
Look for a cat shelf that can be mounted with one or more wall studs. The studs will help the cat shelf to be held firmly to the wall and help to prevent the cat shelf from falling.
Solid wood shelves are more stable than shelves made of particleboard. There are both cat shelves designed as a single unit that you can install on your wall and those that rely on mounting brackets to secure it to the wall. Some shelves come with cat beds attached to them – you should look for curved beds, or beds with a ridge similar to a marshmallow bed.
Most of the time, floating shelves look really nice, but they may not be designed to support the weight of your cat for a long time. So if you want to buy a floating shelf for your cat, be cautious of the maximum weight it can carry.
Shelf Anti-Slip Coverings
Most cat shelves should come with carpet or fabric coverings to prevent your cat from slipping off. But metal or wooden shelves alone are not always safe for your cat to climb. Try to buy a cat shelf with a non-slip surface like rope or carpet. We recommend picking one with a durable material that’ll deter your cat from scratching.
Assembly And Installation
Most of the best cat shelves might require a little more effort to assemble and install than the cheaper options. It doesn’t necessarily have to be that way – you can find some that are more simple to hang.
Keep in mind that the higher-end shelves will typically be a bit heavier than the rest. A few of them might require two people to install it due to their size and weight. Look out for cat shelves that you can easily assemble and install. This can help to avoid the cost of having someone else install it.
What to Look For in Cat Shelves
Cat shelves are for more than just looking cool and beautiful. They can offer your cat a safe place to exercise, relax, or even hide. Bigger cats will appreciate larger and more stable platforms, and a house with more than one cat might need lots of shelves to run and jump. Choose from the best cat shelves we reviewed above using your cat’s natural habits to pick the shelf that’s perfect for them.