Have you ever wondered why cats also need to maintain good dental hygiene? Cats have a different dental formula and saliva composition than humans, and they do minimal chewing on their food. They may not be prone to dental cavities but are likely to get bacterial plaque. Bacterial plaque leads to the build-up of tartar, bad breath, and gum problems.
You can keep your cat healthy by brushing your cats teeth with an effective cat toothpaste. In this guide we explore the best toothpaste options available in the UK and what you should consider when buying one.
What To Consider When Getting Toothpaste For Your Cat
There are many types of cat toothpaste available on the market. Here are some of the points to consider when buying your cat’s toothpaste:
- The formula should contain safe abrasive agents
- Should have natural enzymes to eliminate tartar and bad breath
- Get a toothpaste with a flavour your cat would love
- The toothpaste should be foam free
- The cat toothpaste should be affordable
Best Cat Toothpaste Reviews
We have reviewed our favourite cat toothpastes to make it easier for you to select the best toothpaste for your cat.
1. Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
Virbac is a high-quality toothpaste containing enzymes that are friendly on the cat’s teeth, effectively killing bacteria that cause plaque and tartar formation. It also has enzymes that help to freshen the cat’s breath and strengthen the gums.
The Virbac CET enzymatic toothpaste doesn’t create foam and is made of poultry, malt, and beef flavours that cats love. It is recommended by vets and is more effective when used on a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- It clears plaque off cat’s teeth
- Virbac keeps your cat’s breath smelling fresh
- It has multiple flavours that pets love
- Doesn’t contain chemicals dangerous for your cat’s teeth
2. Beaphar Toothpaste for Cats & Dogs
Beaphar toothpaste is one of the most popular toothpastes you can get and one of the cheapest too. Beaphor toothpaste is liver flavoured and is an excellent anti-plaque and anti-tartar paste. Despite the liver flavour, the paste leaves your cat with fresh breath.
This toothpaste has safe abrasive agents for the safety of the cat’s teeth. It doesn’t contain fluoride and we found our cats loved it.
- It is anti-plaque
- Beaphar is anti-tartar
- Doesn’t contain chemicals that could damage your cat’s teeth
- Has a liver flavour
3. Johnsons Chicken Triple Action Toothpaste for Cats & Dogs
Johnson Chicken Triple Action Toothpaste is the ideal toothpaste to clean your cat’s teeth and gums. It has enzymes that protect the teeth against plaque and build-up of tartar. For fresh breath, the toothpaste contains parsley oil and has a chicken flavour. This toothpaste doesn’t contain any chemicals that could damage your pet’s teeth.
- Has a triple action to clean your cat’s teeth
- It’s anti-plaque and anti-tartar
- This toothpaste gives your cat fresher breath
- You can get a delicious chicken flavour
4. PetSol Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats
Plaque and tartar are common problems that affect cats. To get rid of plaque and prevent tartar build-up, you should use the Petsol Toothpaste. This toothpaste is also the best when it comes to getting your cat healthy teeth and gums.
Petsol toothpaste has a mint flavour, which is effective for fresh breath. For Petsol, you can use either fingers or a toothbrush to clean your pet’s teeth for great oral hygiene.
- Gives your cat a fresh breath
- Has a tasty mint flavour
- It is easy to use
- Has safe abrasives that are gentle on the cat’s teeth
- Best to keep your cat’s teeth and gums healthy
5. Petstoreo Beef Flavoured Enzymatic Toothpaste
Petstoreo is beef-flavoured! What pet doesn’t love beef? It is the reason why this is the ideal toothpaste for your cat. It has mild abrasive that can be swallowed by the cat without having any harmful effects. It has enzymes that control bacteria, remove and prevent plaque, and tartar buildup, getting rid of the nasty odour that your cat may have.
It is suitable for all pet sizes and breeds. Get your cat Petstoreo beef-flavoured enzymatic toothpaste for the right dental solution.
- Maintains fresh breath for your cat
- It doesn’t contain chemicals harmful to your pet’s teeth
- It is safe to swallow
- Gives your pet healthy gums and strong teeth
- Available in a yummy beef flavour
Why brush your cat’s teeth?
A cat has a different dental formula as a human. They barely chew food, so they do not contain some enzymes to digest starch in their mouth.
It is advantageous to brush your cats teeth because cats are at high risk of getting bacterial infections like plaque and build up of tartar. They also risk lousy breath and inflamed gums. We need to brush the cat’s teeth to prevent all this infection and avoid expensive veterinaries’ visits. It is crucial to start this dental routine when the cat is at a young age.
If you’re looking for other ideas to improve your cats oral hygiene, you should check our guide on the best dental cat treats.