Hydration is a vital part of any living creature’s life, especially your dog’s. But keeping your fur baby hydrated can be tricky when you are out for walks, hikes, camps, or long drives.
This is where dog water bottles come in. They are an easy, portable way to keep your canine friend from becoming parched. They are designed to make carrying and pouring your dog a drink super easy and hassle free.
Depending on where you intend to use it, we prefer our dog water bottle to come with a built in lid (or ability for the dog to drink water without us needing to take a spare bowl). If you regularly go on long walks, or for long periods of time, ensure you choose a water bottle that will be able to carry an adequate amount of water for your dog.
Best dog water bottle reviews
We’ve picked out our favourite dog water bottles that are available on the market today.
1. COTOP Portable Dog Water Bottle 350/550ml
COTOP Portable Dog Water Bottle 350/550ml
Our Rating: 5/5Check Price
We love this bottle for its ease of use and scoop lid design. We have used this bottle regularly with our dogs, and it is easy to use and store.
The COTOP dog water bottle comes in both a 350 and 500-millilitre water bottle. The water bottle is simple to use with a lock to prevent any leaks, and a button to release the water from the bottle to the scoop lid. Once your dog has finished, you can simply press the button to drain the water back into the bottle. It is plastic but BPA free and comes in a number of different colours.
- Easy to open and lock
- Portable and even comes with a bottle carabiner that you can attach to your backpack
- Completely safe as it is BPA free
- Easy to clean
- multi-use – you can feed any animal with it
Disclosure: we own the COTOP dog water bottle and use it regularly. We love this bottle, which is why it comes out on top of our ratings.
2. Long Paws Stainless Steel Pet Water Bottle 500ml
Long Paws Stainless Steel Pet Water Bottle 500ml
Our Rating: 4.5/5
The Long Paws stainless-steel water bottle is ideal for all pets. The newer model comes with a hook for attaching to your bag while you walk. It only comes as a 500ml bottle, so there are not many options in terms of size.
- Made of stainless steel and BPA-free plastic,
- it is lightweight and easy to carry,
- it is durable,
- you can use it to feed all your pets,
- has lick-release technology – the water releases as your pet licks and
- it is leak-proof.
3. Upsky Dog Water Bottle, Travel Dog Water Bottle
Upsky Dog Water Bottle, Travel Dog Water Bottle
Our Rating: 4.5/5Check Price
The Upsky dog water bottle is a 400ml plastic bottle that comes with a filter and is highly durable. With a 4.5 rating from almost 3000 people, this bottle is nearly perfect for your dog.
- It comes with a replaceable coconut shell to purify and filter the water,
- it is made of safe, and FDA approved materials,
- lightweight and portable,
- easy to use with a one-hand press water key to fill and release the water and
- has a double leak-proof design.
- It only comes in one colour,
- it only comes in one size, 400ml, which is more suitable for small or medium dogs and
- is often sold out very quickly.
4. VIVAGLORY Leak Proof Dog Travel Water Bottle, 750 ml Portable Dog Drinking Bottle
VIVAGLORY Leak Proof Dog Travel Water Bottle, 750 ml Portable Dog Drinking Bottle
Our Rating: 4/5Check Price
If you want a large, stainless steel water bottle, then this bottle is for you. It is well rated at 4.6 and comes in various colours. Although it does not have any sucking or licking mechanism to feed your dog with, the cap also doubles as a trough, which can be more suitable for larger dogs.
- It has a large capacity,
- made from BPA-free plastic and stainless steel,
- well priced for a stainless-steel water bottle,
- easy to use and
- comes in a variety of colours.
- This bottle is very loved and is often out of stock as soon as it is restocked on Amazon.
5. Trixie Dog on Tour Drinking Bottle with Bowl, 700 ml
Trixie Dog on Tour Drinking Bottle with Bowl, 700 ml
Our Rating: 4/5Check Price
The Trixie Dog water bottle is a simple water bottle for your dog. The Trixie water bottle also has a larger capacity at 700ml, and it is cheap. It has a 4.1 rating, and from most reviews, it gets the job done.
- A simple, no gimmicks bottle,
- it is portable as it comes with a hook to attach to your travel bag,
- it is a large bottle, suitable for longer journeys and/or big dogs and
- you can use it to hydrate both your cat and your dog.
- It is not easy to use as it lacks any licking mechanism and has no trough and
- it is made of plastic which is not BPA-free.
What to consider when buying a dog water bottle
To help you narrow your search, here are the top things to consider when buying a dog water bottle:
- Material: Dog water bottles, like human water bottles, come in different materials. You can get steel or plastic but whichever material you use, ensure it is not made of toxic materials. All plastic bottles included in this guide are BPA free. Metal bottles tend to be more durable, but are heavier and less flexible when carried in a bag.
- Size of the Water Bottle: Your dog’s size will determine what size of water bottle you should buy. You should also consider how often you will be able to refill the water bottle. If you plan to only use it for short neighbourhood walks, then a smaller bottle would be preferable. Also, if you have a big doggie, then get them a bigger water bottle. You can look to freeze the water in your bottle if you want the water to remain cool for a longer period (freeze three quarters of the bottle, and top up the rest with water to ensure your dog has water straight away).
- Ease of use: Look for a bottle that comes easy to pour lid (ideally attached to the bottle). Some water bottles allow you easily drain the water back into the bottle, allowing you to save as much water as possible for longer travels.
- Cleaning: The bottle you buy for your furry friend should be easy to clean. It should not have too many nooks and bends that you can’t reach and clean using a brush. These crevices can promote bacteria growth and end up infecting your dog with a bacterial disease.
Benefits of proper hydration for your dog
Here are a few reasons you should keep your dog well hydrated:
- Proper body function requires water.
- Water helps to detoxify and clean out your dog’s cells and blood.
- Water aids in digestion by enabling proper nutrient absorption.
- Water keeps your dog from overheating, especially in hot summer months.