Most cat litters are clay based, and therefore aren’t biodegradable. If, like us, you care for the environment and don’t want your cat litter to end up in landfill, there are plenty of biodegradable litters out there.
In this guide we explore the different materials used in litters, explain what to look for and run through the best biodegradable and flushable cat litters available in the UK.
What is so special about biodegradable cat litter?
Biodegradable cat litter is all the rage right now, for all the right reasons. It clumps well, masks odours without any dangerous chemical additions, is safer for your cat and is better for the environment.
The main reasons why biodegradable cat litter is a great choice are:
- It doesn’t contain harmful toxins and perfume based additives
- Its easier to dispose of. Most biodegradable litters can be flushed down the toilet, or even better, you can compost your dirty litter in your garden since it breaks down quickly
- The natural materials make the litter dust free, which is better for your cat.
- Most of the products are similarly prices to their clay counterparts – despite them being made of 100% natural ingredients.
- It can be combined with biodegradable cat litter liners and bags to create a fully biodegradable cat toilet
Best biodegradable & flushable cat litter reviews
We’ve scoured the market to find the best of the best biodegradable cat litter available in the UK.
1. Cats Best Original Clumping Cat Litter
This 100% organic fibre cat litter certainly lives up to its name. We have used this Cats Best litter with our cats for over a year, and it clumps very well to both solids and liquids. With virtually zero dust and excellent odour control, it has other great features which make it a huge favourite among cat lovers. Its our best biodegradable cat litter and best flushable cat litter on this list.
This litter is 100% biodegradable and it is fine to flush down your toilet or to add to your compost in the garden. The litter is exceptional value for money, and boasts 3 times higher yield than mineral based cat litters – meaning you’ll use less too. We find a 30 litre bag lasts us between 3 weeks – 1 month, which is great value when compared to clay based litters.
We tend to find that we are able to remove the clumps very easily in the morning and night, so we very rarely have to change the whole tray. The clumps form very easily, making it a breeze to scoop clean. Once clumps are removed, we simply top it up with a little fresh litter.
- Great clumping ability with both solids and liquids
- Excellent at masking odours
- It can be composted
- 100% biodegradable
- Your cat’s paws can come away with some of the fibre – but it works well with a cat litter mat
2. Worlds Best Cat Litter Biodegradable
As the name suggests, this is a pretty good product! We have used Worlds Best Cat Litter with our cats before and it is anther great performer on this list. The litter is made of sustainable corn which makes it 99% dust free and an excellent option for cats with breathing difficulties.
We love this cat litter for a couple of reasons. It clumps extremely well which makes scooping and cleaning very easy. The main benefit though is that it possesses outstanding odour control – its one of the best litters we have tried at containing smells from our cat litter box. Although this litter is slightly more expensive than others, we think the performance makes it excellent value for money.
- Excellent odour control.
- It clumps very well making it really easy to scoop and clean.
- Can be flushed down the toilet (septic tank safe)
- It is slightly more expensive than others on this list.
3. Breeder Celect Cat Litter
This cat litter is made of 99% recycled paper and is formulated into highly absorbent pellets. The litter is highly absorbent and naturally reduces odours spreading from your cat litter tray (its incredibly good!). The litter is almost dust free which helps to reduce the spread and tracking from the tray.
The best thing about this product is the price. It is the best cheap biodegradable cat litter on this list. The performance is very slightly poorer than the two previous choices, but for the money, it is an excellent performer if you’re on a budget.
Please note – this litter cannot be flushed down the toilet, so it is best to compost the litter after use for the least environmental impact.
- 100% biodegradable with no additives or chemicals
- Highly absorbent
- Great for odour control
- Has virtually no dust
- Cannot be flushed down the toilet
4. AmazonBasics Cat Litter Wood Pellets
Made of biodegradable recycled wood, the AmazonBasics cat litter is another great environmentally friendly option. This cat litter is the best biodegradable option if you’re looking for a non clumping litter. This litter is highly absorbent (it holds twice its weight) which helps with odour control.
The wood pellets are cylindrical in shape and are larger than a normal clay based litter which makes it softer on cats paws and less likely to spread from your litter tray. The product is made from 100% recycled materials.
- It is lightweight and natural.
- Gentle on paws.
- 100% recyclable.
- Absorbs two times its weight in liquid.
- Ideal only for indoor use.
Is cat litter flushable?
For most cat litters the answer is no. Only cat litters marked as flushable are able to be flushed down the toilet.
We have listed two litters in this guide made by Cats Best and Worlds Best who are both marked as flushable.
Its worth noting that cats can spread diseases, so we don’t ever advise you to dispose of cat litter by flushing it. We prefer to compost our cat litter (it is absolutely excellent!) which composts down beautifully when mixed with your left over vegetables.
Benefits of using biodegradable cat litter
Cats are very fastidious creatures who are super hygienic and will not tolerate dirt around them. Most cats spend a great deal of time licking themselves clean, a process that can take quite a bit of time. While keeping this in mind, it is only fair that we provide them with safe litter where they can pee and poop with ease.
The benefits of biodegradable cat litter include:
- They are more friendly to the environment as they can be disposed of easily. They are also 100% biodegradable as the name suggests.
- Most biodegradable cat litters do not produce dust which is not only harmful to your pet but also can create a right mess in your home.
- Ease of use is another great benefit since they can be easily composted or flushed down the toilet.
- Since biodegradable litter has superior odour control, they do not contain additives and chemicals such as perfumes which can be harmful to your cat.
- Biodegradable litter has natural odour control thanks to the material it is made from which is usually corn, paper or natural fibres.
- The absence of chemicals in biodegradable litter makes them safer for your cat to use. You will be surprised to learn that even cats can develop allergic reactions to dust and chemicals just like humans!
What to look for when buying biodegradable cat litter
There are lots of factors to consider when buying biodegradable cat litter. Here are a few things to look for when purchasing your biodegradable cat litter:
- Your cat’s safety should be top of mind. Is the material that the litter is made of safe for your cat to use?
- Clumping ability of the material. You want a material that clumps well enough to solids and liquids.
- The cost should also not be too prohibitive, buy what you can afford without compromising on quality.
- Odour control should also be top of mind as you buy your cat litter. Cats are fussy about smells. You also want your house to remain odour free no matter the number of cats you have.
- The consistency of the litter should not be too fine to create dust, or too large to be uncomfortable for little paws. It should strike a good balance between the two.
- The biodegradable cat litter should be easy to use for both you and your cat. This includes the method of disposal as well. Look for cat litter that is septic safe and can be flushed down the toilet or a variety that can be composted.