Getting your high-spirited puppy to stay at home while you run errands can be quite challenging. Some pet owners are forced to put their beloved puppies in crates since they have no other way of containing these feisty little canines. But not everyone is okay with keeping their puppy in a crate. This is where a puppy pen comes in handy. A puppy pen is like a crate but gives your pup a larger, sectioned-off space to move around in.
In this guide we review the top puppy pens available in the UK and explore what you should consider when buying one yourself.
What to Consider When Buying Puppy Pens
Before jumping in and buying any puppy pen, you need to ask yourself a few questions first.
- How big is your puppy?
- Do you want an indoor or outdoor puppy pen?
- Will the pen be safe for your puppy?
- Which playpen accessories are essential for your puppy?
- What size, shape, and material do you want the pen to be?
- What is your budget?
All these questions should guide you as you plan to buy a puppy pen for your canine.
Puppy Pen Reviews
Here are the favourite puppy pens available in the UK.
1. AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Pet Dog Fence Pen
AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Pet Dog Fence Pen
Our Rating: 5/5Check Price
Give your puppy extra space and safe boundaries with this portable playpen. The AmazonBasics dog pen is easy and quick to assemble, with eight metal panels pre-assembled with strong welded metal hinges. You can arrange the pen into various shapes such as rectangle, square, hexagon, and other shapes that will suit your needs. For outdoor use, you can secure the playpen to the ground with u-shaped metal stakes. Its black finish is rust-proof for protection against outdoor elements. Connect two sets for extra play space. When you don’t need it, the pen folds flat for compact storage and easy transport. Coming with a door, this play pen is a simple, but cost effective option for your puppy play pen.
- Dimensions are 121.92 x 121.92 x 76.2 cm
- Weight: 8.64 kg
- Portable 30-inch play and exercise pen
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Eight connected panels
- Made of durable iron metal
- Comes with eight grounded anchors for outdoor use
2. AVC Designs Pet Dog Pen Puppy Foldable Playpen
AVC Designs Pet Dog Pen Puppy Foldable Playpen
Our Rating: 5/5Check Price
The AVC Foldable playpen is another simple but effective puppy pen that is suitable for both puppies and adult dogs. The affordable pen features eight panels, and each panel can be attached to give the pen different shapes. If you buy more than one puppy pen, you can join them to create a larger playpen for your pet. One of its eight panels has a hinged doorway with a secure latch so you can let your puppy out without having to lift the pen. You should, however, train your pet before putting it in the pen. The pen comes in 5 different heights ranging from 61cm up to 122 cm.
- Panel dimensions are 61 x 61 cm
- Weight: 9 kg
- Small in height, measuring 61cm (sizes available up to 122cm)
- Foldable for portability and storage
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Eight strong panels
3. CellDeal Folding Fabric Pet Play Pen
The CellDeal Folding Fabric Pet Play Pen is a strong and inexpensive playpen by CellDeal. It is great for both adult dogs and puppies. It features four metal hooks that hold the pen firmly to the ground. The pen is foldable for portability and has a free carry bag to transport it and prevent damage. Whether you want your dog inside the house or basking in the sunshine outside, the pen is suitable for both situations. A strong frame with eight panels, it offers ample space for pets to play and exercise. This pen is a great alternative to a rigid cage with soft walls to help fit flexible spaces and bottom to contain any mess.
- Durable, lightweight, and portable
- Made from durable 600D polyester with PVC coating
- Strong frame with eight panels
- Removable mesh cover with zipper
- Two roll-up and zipped doors
- Mesh windows provide significant interaction and ventilation
4. BIGWING Style Pet Play Pen
If you want comfort for your puppy, the BIGWING Style Pet Play Pen is the ultimate choice. This portable pen is great for indoor and outdoor use, and though it’s lightweight, it’s strong enough to withstand your pet’s antics. It pops up in seconds with no need for any complicated assembly. It also folds flat when not in use. BIGWING features an 8-panel design with reinforced corners and protected seams. You can easily remove the zippered top for indoor use. It is also reinforced with a floor mat for added safety and cleanliness.
- Dimensions: 91 x 91 x 58 cm
- Weight: 0.9 kg
- Removable top and base
- Zippered carrying bag
- Lightweight, strong, and foldable
- 8-panel design with protected seams
5. FEANDREA 8-Panel Pet Playpen
FEANDREA 8-Panel Pet Playpen
Our Rating: 4.5/5Check Price
FEANDREA is a high-quality playpen with an elegant design. Its iron tubes are thickened for added durability, and rounded corners and edges prevent injuries for you and your pet. It’s equipped with L-shaped door bolts to ensure the door doesn’t open under excessive shaking. One end of each iron rod is plastic-coated to prevent it from rusting or damaging the floor. It also dampens excessive noise when you move it.
- Dimensions: 240 x 80 x 60 cm
- Weight: 17.2 kg
- Made of iron for added durability
- Silicone caps protect the floor from scratches
- Non-slip and stable
- Well-polished without sharp edges
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
6. COZY PET Puppy Playpen for Dogs and Puppies
COZY PET Puppy Playpen for Dogs and Puppies
Our Rating: 4/5Check Price
The COZY PET playpen is perfect for your pet. The pen provides a safe and secure environment whether you wish to use it inside or out, and grows with your puppy into its adult life. This pen is made from heavy-duty steel wire finish with a black powder coating. The L-shaped security latches offer more protection. When your puppy is not using the pen, you can easily fold it flat for compact storage. This pen is the most versatile of them all with 7 different size and shape options to fit dogs of all sizes.
- Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 61.5 cm
- Weight: 5.78 kg
- Easy to use and store
- Adjustable to grow with your puppy
- Suitable for young pets
- Ideal for daily indoor or outdoor use
- The frame is made of heavy-duty steel for stability and durability
Benefits of Puppy Pens
A puppy playpen is useful to your puppy in the following ways:
- It assures you that your pet is secure when you’re not around
- The pen boosts your relationship with the puppy
- Playpens are easy to store and transport
- Your puppy or dog will play safely and keep away from dangerous areas
- It’s easy to set up and clean
- The puppy pen helps your pet from being lonesome
- They are useful if you have visitors who aren’t used to puppies or dogs
Buying Guide for Puppy Pens
Not every pen you find will be fit for your dog. Fortunately here we’ve found the best pens currently on the market. However, you will still need to give yourself a set of guidelines when browsing our picks. This way, you can find the best pick for you and your puppy’s needs.
Indoor or Outdoor Use
Puppy playpens are designed differently and for various purposes. Not all are suitable for indoor use. Others cannot be used outside. You, therefore, need to decide if you have to use it inside or outside. If you’re looking into wood pens, they are not suitable for outdoor use since they can break down when exposed to heat or heavy rain.
But to make things easier on yourself, choose pens that are designed for both indoor and outdoor use. Such versatile pens are made of sturdy materials such as metal or hard plastic.
Size of Your Puppy
The size of your puppy is essential when it comes to choosing a playpen. For larger sized breeds, go for a larger playpen with a sturdy frame. Smaller breeds can be contained in small pens that are made from lighter material such as plastic wire.
However, no matter the breed, your puppy will not remain small forever. There are adjustable pens that will grow with your dog. This way, you won’t have to go back to the store every year to get a new size for your pet.
One of the reasons people choose a puppy pen as an alternative to a traditional crate is for space. Now it’s a matter of how much extra space you want. If you have multiple puppies, you may want to consider ordering two pens that can attach together.
When searching for a pen, the most important thing is to keep your puppy safe in its pen. A puppy playpen should be strong enough to withstand any shaking. For outdoor use, ensure the pen should firmly attach to the ground. Ideally, the pen will come with some sort of anchor. It should also be well-ventilated if made of mesh or any other fabric.
As you purchase the pen, make sure the sides will be high enough to ensure the dog does not try to climb or jump over the walls of the pen. Some puppies or dogs are jumpers. If they attempt to jump over the sides, they could potentially get collapse the pen. Not to mention, if they do escape, they’ve defeated the point of the puppy pen.